Do you have a chronic condition? Interested in volunteering in your community? Learn how to manage your chronic condition & empower others to do the same. Volunteer with Your Way to Wellness!
What is Your Way to Wellness?
Your Way to Wellness is a 6-session workshop that helps people with chronic conditions and their caregivers overcome daily challenges, take action and live a healthy life! This free program is led by 2 trained volunteer facilitators. Groups meet weekly (2 ½ hours) for 6 weeks.
Participants learn how to:
• Set goals & problem solve
• Eat healthier & become more active
• Manage symptoms & make daily tasks easier
• Improve self-confidence & manage difficult emotions
• Improve communication with health care providers, family & friends
Your Way to Wellness volunteers should…
• Be comfortable speaking in front of groups
• Have good literacy skills and be able to follow a scripted format
• Be able to commit to a 4 day training session (at no cost to you)
• Co-lead at least two 6-week programs within the first 18 months after training (and at least 1 within the first 12 months)
• Have a willingness to learn. You do not need a clinical/medical background to be a Your Way to Wellness volunteer (Training will be provided)
What's in it for me?
As a Your Way to Wellness volunteer you will…
• Gain valuable skills in learning and teaching, group facilitation & public speaking
• Become a certified Your Way to Wellness Volunteer Leader
• Help empower people in your community to improve or maintain their health
• Receive a small honorarium for facilitating group sessions
• Gain experience to build your resume and possibly lead to other career opportunities
Dates: March 22-25 2012.
Time: 8:30am - 4:30pm (approx)
Location: Halifax (details to be announced)
There is no cost for this training. Meals (including lunch and light morning and afternoon snacks) will be provided. Free parking is available on site, but is on a first come first serve basis and is subject to availability.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Stephanie (program coordinator at Capital Health) at 473-7709 or firstname.lastname@example.org.